• Age in Spain Team

Getting a Residency Card (TIE) after you have received your VISA

Updated: 2 hours ago

*This guide only explains the process to obtain the physical biometric card (TIE). If you want to know about how to apply for the TIE under the scope of the Withdrawal Agreeement, please check our complete guide on the process.*

Applying for the TIE

If you hold a Visa, an EU Residence Certificate (temporary or permanent) or have obtained a favorable resolution after presenting the EX-20 application, you can apply for the TIE. To request the TIE it is necessary to make an appointment online with the Oficina de Extranjeros - cita previa-, which can be done here.

Currently, the Spanish administration has created a special option for the new TIE. Select the province where you live and the option "Policía-Exp. Toma de huellas" (or“Policia-Exp. Tarjeta Asociada al Acuerdo de Retirada Ciudadanos Británicos y sus familiares (Brexit)" if you are applying for the TIE under the Withdrawal Agreement) at the "Trámites Cuerpo Nacional de Policía tab, and follow the further instructions.

Completing this process will arrange an appointment at an Immigration Office or your local Police Station for a specific date and time.

Once the appointment is arranged, the UK national will need to provide the following documents:

  • Your Visa//Residence certificate // Resolución favorable from Extranjería

  • Filled EX-17 form (for Visa applicants)

  • Passport (original and copy of all pages)

  • Proof (printed) of payment of the tax 790 code 012. You can complete and download the form here. Also, find the list of institutions associated with the payment of fees by direct debit system here.

  • Passport-size photograph 32x26.

  • Padrón. Original and copy, issued within the last 3 months.

In case you are not informed by the police on how to pick up your new TIE, you will be able to pick up your card by booking an appointment here. Select the province where you live and the option “Policia-Recogida Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero” -Trámites Cuerpo Nacional de Policía tab-.

This process can't be done by a representative and the applicant must present the documents and pick up the card in person.

5,209 views0 comments