• Age in Spain Team

S1 form - Guide

Updated: 7 days ago

The S1 form is a document that will allow you as a pensioner to request access to the Spanish healthcare system. The application form (S1 form) is provided by the Overseas Healthcare Services from the NHS. The form, as well as more information, can be requested by phone at: NHS Overseas Healthcare Services

  • Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 1999

  • Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

  • Saturday, 9am to 3pm

You can also request your S1 form online. You will need to write your request to the following email nhsbsa.ohsregistrations@nhs.net We have checked with the relevant authorities and you will be asked for the following;

  • Your national Insurance Number

  • The date that you moved to Spain

  • The date you received your first pension payment.

Registering your S1 form Once you have obtained the S1 form, you need to present it at the local INSS office (Spanish Social Security Office) alongside the following documents:

  • Completed S1 Form.

  • Certificate of residence/TIE.

  • Census Certificate/ Padrón (Certificate proving register at the local Town Hall).

  • Valid Passport

  • Completed application form

Dependents will also need to provide a legalised birth/marriage certificate with the Hague apostille from the Legalisation Office in the UK. This process can be done online here. It is possible to request an appointment with the INSS to present the documents here, or by calling the INSS phone number 901 16 65 65. The type of consult will be Otras Prestaciones. After providing the documentation at the designated INSS office, a Social Security number will be provided and request the medical card at the local Primary Care Center (PCC or CAP). If you haven't received yet your residency card and you need medical treatment in Spain, you can request to the NHS a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC). You can contact the NHS by phone: 0044 191 218 1999, Monday-Friday 8am-6pm (UK time). Registering your S1 online You can also register your S1 form electronically at the Social Security website. You will need to choose the option "Sin Certificado/ No Certificate" to log in, and then you will be redirected to an online form. After filling in your personal details, the website will require you to upload all necessary documents, which are the same as the ones required for the normal registration:

  • Completed S1 Form.

  • Certificate of residence/TIE.

  • Census Certificate/ Padrón (Certificate proving register at the local Town Hall).

  • Valid Passport

  • Completed application form

*The total size of your files shouldn't exceed 10MB. Even if you send your documents online, the INSS might require you to book an appointment, which you can do here. The S1 form will allow you, as a UK national who is resident in Spain, to continue to receive UK national healthcare services if you visit the UK, as would any other UK resident. This includes primary care, emergency treatment and hospital care that is provided by the NHS. S1 holders will need to obtain a new UK-issued EHIC to travel around Europe from 1 January 2021. You can apply for the new UK issued EHIC here.

*When registering the documents for your residency, showing the S1 form should be accepted as proof of Healthcare coverage. Once you receive your residence document, you can present the S1 form to the INSS and subscribe to the Spanish healthcare system.


info@ageinspain.org (for general enquiries)

residency@ageinspain.org (for Spanish residency enquiries)

friendline@ageinspain.org (for the Friendline service)


+34 932 20 97 41 - Residency Helpline

+34 971 93 40 85 - General enquires

+34 932 20 93 34 - Friendline

Registered charity number: 597017

CIF G57704363

Correspondence address

C/Can Maçanet 
3 Bajos Izquierda

Palma de Mallorca

07003 Spain

© 2020 Age in Spain. All rights reserved.